National Service Scheme, popularly known as NSS, is a student-centred programme that was launched in 1969, henceforth creating a link between the campus and community, the college and village, knowledge and action. The overall aim of NSS is the Personality Development of students through community service. It aims at inculcating amongst the volunteers a spirit of team-work, service to the community and character building that ultimately leads to the development of their personality. The motto of NSS is ‘Not Me; But You’. This reflects the essence of democratic living and upholds the need for selfless service and appreciation of the other person's point of view and also to show consideration for fellow human beings.
The Motto of NSS "Not Me But You", reflects the essence of democratic living and upholds the need for self-less service. NSS helps the students development & appreciation to other person's point of view and also show consideration towards other living beings. The philosophy of the NSS is a good doctrine in this motto, which underlines on the belief that the welfare of an individual is ultimately dependent on the welfare of the society as a whole and therefore, the NSS volunteers shall strive for the well-being of the society.
NSS Logo: The logo for the NSS has been based on the giant Rath Wheel of the world famous Konark Sun Temple (The Black Pagoda) situated in Orissa, India. The Red & Blue colors contained in the logo motivate the NSS Volunteers to be active & energetic for the nation-building social activities. The wheel portrays the cycle of creation, preservation and release and signifies the movement in life across time and space, The wheel thus stands for continuity as well as change and implies the continuous striving of NSS for social change.
NSS was formally launched on 24th September 1969, the birth centenary year of the Father of the Nation. Therefore, 24th September is celebrated every year as NSS Day with various programmes and activities.
Objectives Of NSS
- Enable the students to understand the community in which they live.
- Understand themselves in relation to their community.
- Identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in finding solution.
- Develop a sense of social and civic responsibility.
- Develop competence required to socialize and to share the responsibilities.
- Enhance skills in mobilizing community participation.
- Acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitudes.
- Develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters.
- Practice national integration and social harmony.
National Service Scheme In Our College
Our college has 2 units of NSS (Unit No. 71 & 153) under University of Calicut with strength of 200 volunteers working for social, economic and educational welfare of society. Under the scheme, each volunteer contributes 240 hours of community work during a period of two years. Participation in the NSS is voluntary. An NSS volunteer is eligible to receive a certificate for the participation in NSS provided, if he/she completes 240 hrs of regular NSS work and attends a special camp with minimum of 7 days duration.
The NSS unit of the college regularly conducts a number of activities such as cleaning drives, AIDS awareness programmes, blood donations, creation of community assets, relief works, environmental protection programmes, literacy programmes, health education campaigns etc.
The Programme Officers of the College NSS Units are:
1. Mr. Koshy C J (Asst. Professor, Dept. of Commerce)
2. Mr.Tony Thomas Podimattom (Asst. Professor, Dept. of Physical Education)
- Observed Human Rights day on 10-12-2021 by organizing an exhibition of handmade eco friendly products by volunteers
- Volunteers planted tree saplings in connection with Volunteer Day on 05-12-2021
- University Level South Zone Pre RD Selection Camp for Wayanad District was conducted on 03-11-2021 at St.Mary’s College, Bathery
- Wayanad District Legal Service Authority in association with NSS Units organised an awareness class on ‘Cyber Laws and Basic Laws for College Students’ on 18-10-2021 at 3.00 PM in online mode.
- Observation of NSS Day on 24-09-2021 by planting 250 bamboo saplings in the campus and Principal Dr.Anilkumar K distributed saplings to newly admitted students inorder to create awareness on environmental conservation in connection with the programme 'Go Green-Save Earth'.
- Observation of Teacher's Day on 05-09-2021 by conducting various competitions and online gathering
- Conducted online Onam celebration e-ponnonam on 23-08-2021 at 7 PM.
- Conducted Online Photography contest(Spot and Theme Photography) for students of various colleges on 19-08-2021 in connection with World Photography Day.
- Organised a Webinar on 'Say No to Dowry' on 15-08-2021 at 7 PM by the trained volunteers.
- Observation of 75th Independence Day by conducting Inter departmental speech competition and group wise Debate competition.
- Conducted Freedon Run on 13-08-2021 in association with Nehru Yuva Kendra, Wayanad and inauguration of 'Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav' at Pazhassi Tomb, Mavilamthodu, Pulpally
- Campus Clean Programme was conducted on 10-08-2021 in connection with Solar Power Plant inauguration.
- Observation of Hiroshima Day 2021 on 06-08-2021 by conducting various competitions and a digital magazine 'AGNI' was released.
- Featured in Yuvavani programme by Akashavani Manjeri FM on 01-08-2021 presenting oustanding NSS activities
- Observation of World Nature Conservation Day on 28-07-2021.
- Conducted a Seminar on 'Say No to Dowry' in association with Department of Women and Child Development,District Legal Services Autjority, Wyanad on 28-07-2021 at ICDS Pulpally.
- Observation of World Paper Bag Day on 12-07-2021 by making paper bags
- Observation of International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking on 26-06-2021 by conducting poster making competition.
- Observation of International Yoga Day on 26-06-2021 by demonstarting Yoga for practicing in daily life.
- Observation of Reading Day on 19-06-2021 by conducting book review competition.
- Initiated a Covid care initiative 'Thanal' in association with Mahatma Gandhi National Council for Rural Education and provided services to the society during pandemic period.
- Planted around 800 saplings in connection with World Environment day on 05-06-2021.
Video presentation on protest against atrocities towards women
Observance of World Water Day 2021
Seminar on 'Sustainability Index Proforma' in association with Mahatma Gandhi National Council for Rural Education
Exhibition in connection with Human Rights Day
NSS Day 2021
Teacher's Day 2021
Onam Celebration 2021
World Photography Day 2021
Independence Day 2021
Seminar on 'Say No to Dowry'
Freedom Run in connection with 'Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav'
Hiroshima Day 2021
Akashavani Yuvavani programme by Manjeri FM
Paper Bag Day
|NSS Special Camp Report-Punarjani 2k18
|NSS Annual Report 2018-19
|NSS Special Camp Report-Unarv 2k19
|NSS Annual Report 2019-20
|NSS Special Camp(Virtual Mode) Mikav 2k20
|NSS Annual Report 2020-21
|NSS Annual Report 2021-22