National Service Scheme, popularly known as NSS, is a student-centred programme that was launched in 1969, henceforth creating a link between the campus and community, the college and village, knowledge and action. The overall aim of NSS is the Personality Development of students through community service. It aims at inculcating amongst the volunteers a spirit of team-work, service to the community and character building that ultimately leads to the development of their personality. The motto of NSS is ‘Not Me; But You’. This reflects the essence of democratic living and upholds the need for selfless service and appreciation of the other person's point of view and also to show consideration for fellow human beings.
The Motto of NSS "Not Me But You", reflects the essence of democratic living and upholds the need for self-less service. NSS helps the students development & appreciation to other person's point of view and also show consideration towards other living beings. The philosophy of the NSS is a good doctrine in this motto, which underlines on the belief that the welfare of an individual is ultimately dependent on the welfare of the society as a whole and therefore, the NSS volunteers shall strive for the well-being of the society.
NSS Logo: The logo for the NSS has been based on the giant Rath Wheel of the world famous Konark Sun Temple (The Black Pagoda) situated in Orissa, India. The Red & Blue colors contained in the logo motivate the NSS Volunteers to be active & energetic for the nation-building social activities. The wheel portrays the cycle of creation, preservation and release and signifies the movement in life across time and space, The wheel thus stands for continuity as well as change and implies the continuous striving of NSS for social change.
NSS was formally launched on 24th September 1969, the birth centenary year of the Father of the Nation. Therefore, 24th September is celebrated every year as NSS Day with various programmes and activities.
Objectives Of NSS
- Enable the students to understand the community in which they live.
- Understand themselves in relation to their community.
- Identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in finding solution.
- Develop a sense of social and civic responsibility.
- Develop competence required to socialize and to share the responsibilities.
- Enhance skills in mobilizing community participation.
- Acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitudes.
- Develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters.
- Practice national integration and social harmony.
National Service Scheme In Our College
Our college has 2 units of NSS (Unit No. 71 & 153) under University of Calicut with strength of 200 volunteers working for social, economic and educational welfare of society. Under the scheme, each volunteer contributes 240 hours of community work during a period of two years. Participation in the NSS is voluntary. An NSS volunteer is eligible to receive a certificate for the participation in NSS provided, if he/she completes 240 hrs of regular NSS work and attends a special camp with minimum of 7 days duration.
The NSS unit of the college regularly conducts a number of activities such as cleaning drives, AIDS awareness programmes, blood donations, creation of community assets, relief works, environmental protection programmes, literacy programmes, health education campaigns etc.
The Programme Officers of the College NSS Units are:
1. Ms. Neetha Francis
(Asst. Professor, Dept. of Computer Applications)
2. Mr. Koshy C J
(Asst. Professor, Dept. of Commerce)
- Observation of World Paper Bag Day on 12-07-2021 by making paper bags
- Observation of International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking on 26-06-2021 by conducting poster making competition
- Observation of International Yoga Day on 26-06-2021 by demonstarting Yoga for practicing in daily life.
- Observation of Reading Day on 19-06-2021 by conducting book review competition.
- Initiated a Covid care initiative 'Thanal' in association with Mahatma Gandhi National Council for Rural Education and provided services to the society during pandemic period
- Planted around 800 saplings in connection with World Environment day on 05-06-2021.
Video presentation on protest against atrocities towards women
Observance of World Water Day 2021
Paper Bag Day
|NSS Annual Report 2018-19