National Service Scheme, popularly known as NSS, is a student-centred programme that was launched in 1969, henceforth creating a link between the campus and community, the college and village, knowledge and action. The overall aim of NSS is the Personality Development of students through community service. It aims at inculcating amongst the volunteers a spirit of team-work, service to the community and character building that ultimately leads to the development of their personality. The motto of NSS is ‘Not Me; But You’. This reflects the essence of democratic living and upholds the need for selfless service and appreciation of the other person's point of view and also to show consideration for fellow human beings.
NSS was formally launched on 24th September 1969, the birth centenary year of the Father of the Nation. Therefore, 24th September is celebrated every year as NSS Day with various programmes and activities.
Objectives Of NSS
- Enable the students to understand the community in which they live.
- Understand themselves in relation to their community.
- Identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in finding solution.
- Develop a sense of social and civic responsibility.
- Develop competence required to socialize and to share the responsibilities.
- Enhance skills in mobilizing community participation.
- Acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitudes.
- Develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters.
- Practice national integration and social harmony.
National Service Scheme In Our College
Our college has 2 units of NSS (Unit No. 71 & 153) under University of Calicut with strength of 200 volunteers working for social, economic and educational welfare of society. Under the scheme, each volunteer contributes 240 hours of community work during a period of two years. Participation in the NSS is voluntary. An NSS volunteer is eligible to receive a certificate for the participation in NSS provided, if he/she completes 240 hrs of regular NSS work and attends a special camp with minimum of 7 days duration.
The NSS unit of the college regularly conducts a number of activities such as cleaning drives, AIDS awareness programmes, blood donations, creation of community assets, relief works, environmental protection programmes, literacy programmes, health education campaigns etc.
The Programme Officers of the College NSS Units are:
Ms. Smitha Chacko
(Asst. Professor, Dept. of Microbiology)
Ms. Neetha Francis
(Asst. Professor, Dept. of Computer Applications)
Mr. Joel Mathew ( II year Economics)
Ms. Rinshy Nafeesa (II year Microbiology)
Activities during lockdown 2020
- 54 volunteers registered in Sannadasena
- Two of our NSS volunteers Alisha and Athira jointly with Dept.of Biochemistry, Pazhassiraja College Pulpally prepared 600 bottles (100ml) of sanitizers and handed over to Pulpally Panchayath
- One volunteer jointly with Dept.of Biochemistry, Pazhassiraja College Pulpally r. Arjun was actively involved in supply of emergency medicine, community kitchen activities
- 57 volunteers downloaded 'Arogyasethu' app
- 30 volunteers completed COVID19 training programme
Tasks assigned during lockdown
5 different tasks were assigned to our volunteers in order to enhance social commitment during these lockdown days. Majority of the volunteers performed well and actively participated in the programme.
Task 1- Self prepared dishes
Task 2- Planting trees
Task 3- Article Writing
Task 4- Cleaning surroundings
Task 5- Craft making
June 5- Planted saplings, organised a webinar in connection with 'World Environment Day'.
June 21- Organized a webinar on 'Importance of Yoga in daily life' in connection with International Yoga Day.
June 26- Conducted an online quiz, poster making competition and slogan writing competition to students if Wayanad District.
Weekly activities and competitions conducted by volunteers of each department as per their turn.
September 5-Teacher's day- A video presentation done as a tribute to teachers
NSS Seven Day Camp 2019-20 from 20-12-19 to 26-12-19 T Govt. L P School Kaithakkal
The seven days camp 'Unarv-2k19' was inaugurated by Panamaram Panchayath President Smt. Shainy Krishnan.