Anti Ragging Cell
The College has an Anti-ragging Committee and a Discipline Committee for timely redressal of the student relates issues. SC/ST monitoring cell also carries out its function by taking care of the needs of the students belonging to that category. Ragging is totally prohibited in the campus. If any student is found indulging in ragging, severe action will be taken against the student. If any complaints are there, contact the convener of the respective committee.
Anti-Ragging and Anti-Sexual Harassment Committee (2022-23)
- Dr. Merin S Thadathil (Convener)
- Sr. Jomet Sebastian
- Ms. Philomina KJ
- Mr. Tony Thomas Podimattom
- Mr. Lithin Mathew
- Fr. Varghese Kollamavudy
- Ms. Thara Philip
I. Ragging Prevention
Ragging is prohibited by law. It is a non-bailable criminal offence and punishable with rigorous imprisonment up to 7 years.
Students shall not indulge in any of the following activities which are treated as ragging.
- Any conduct by any student or students whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other students.
- Any act, that prevents, disrupts or disturbs the regular academic activities of a student.
- Exploiting the services of a junior student by a senior student or a group of senior students.
- Indulging in rowdy or in-disciplined activities by any student or students which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship, physical or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any fresher or any other student.
- Asking any student to do any act which such student will not in the ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame, or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of such fresher or any other student.
- Any act of physical abuse including all variants of it: annoying, playing practical jokes, sexual abuse, homosexual assaults, stripping, forcing obscene and lewd acts or gestures.
- Any act of abuse by spoken words, e-mail, SMS, or any other means.
- Any word or act that causes hurt to the dignity of the individual.
- Entering without permission to any class other than the one assigned to the students.
- Forcing a student to boycott class without his/her consent to participate in strike, demonstration, dharna etc.
Reporting cases for Ragging
The complaints or information in regard to ragging could be oral or written or even from third parties. The burden/ responsibility of proving his/her innocence rest with the accused. Complaints can be lodged with the Principal or College Council members or any member of the Ragging Prevention Committee. Any complaints/information received shall be kept strictly confidential.
Administrative Action in the case of Ragging
- Suspension from attending classes and academic privileges.
- Withholding/ withdrawing scholarship/ fellowship and other benefits.
- Debarring from appearing in any test/ examination or other evaluation process.
- Withholding results.
- Suspension/ Expulsion from the hostel.
- Cancellation of admission.
- Rustication from the institution for period ranging from one to two years.
- Expulsion from the institution and consequent debarring from admission to any other institution for a specific period.
II.Sexual Harassment Prevention
Anti sexual harassment committee is functioning under women cell of the College to provide a healthy atmosphere to the students.
For this purpose, sexual harassment includes unwelcome sexually determined behavior (whether directly or by implication) such as:
- Verbal or Physical threats.
- Insulting, Abusive, Embarrassing or Patronizing behavior or Comments.
- Offensive gestures, Language, Rumors, Gossip or Jokes.
- Humiliating, Intimidating, Demeaning and/or Persistent criticism, Open hostility.
- Suggestive comments or Body language.
- Isolation or Exclusion from normal work or study place.
- Publishing, Circulating or Displaying pornographic, Racist, Sexually suggestive or Otherwise offensive pictures or other materials.
The following is also sexual harassment and is covered by the committee
- Unsavory remarks
- Jokes causing or likely to cause awkwardness or embarrassment
- Innuendos and taunts
- Gender based insults or sexist remarks
- Unwelcome sexual overtone in any manner such as over telephone (obnoxious telephone calls) and the like
- Touching or brushing against any part of the body and the like
- Displaying pornographic or other offensive or derogatory pictures, cartoons, pamphlets or sayings
- Forcible physical touch or molestation
- Physical confinement against one’s will and any other act likely to violate one’s privacy
Anyone found guilty of these will be punished as per the directives of the UGC, Government and Supreme Court. All the incidents of sexual harassment will be severely dealt with. The culprits will be dismissed from the college and police case will be filed against them.
UGC Regulation on Restricting Ragging
Minutes- 2016-17 to 2020-21